Thursday, May 1, 2014

O Canada...

I'm one of those persons who felt the lack of something in their presentation about countries. Well, in my case I'd say mine lacked a lot of things. That's mostly the reason I decided to focus this blog entry on  the country my presentation was of, Canada, that beautiful place often obscured by the USA. The other reason is that I didn't know about what should I've written, but whatever... So let's begin this.

Few facts about Canada

Canada is located in North America and is said to be the world's largest second country in regards to area (9,984,670 km2), counting with ten provinces and three territories, and it has an estimated population of 32,344,962 inhabitants. Its capital city is Ottawa, though the largest one is Toronto. Yeah, I thought of Montreal or something else when thinking about Canada's capital too.  It was at the end of the 15th century when British and French colonies arrived and settle on the Atlantic Coast of the country, and that's the reason of why Canada has two official languages (French and English). The actual geographical territory of Canada is due to several conflicts the UK had until the late 18th century; many territories were won and so many were lost too. Being dominated by the British Empire, it wasn't until 1867 (July 1st) when three colonies (pursuant to the Constitution Act, 1867) joined to form the autonomous federal dominion of Canada. Later, an accretion of provinces and territories occurred and thus Canada was born. However, it was just in 1931 when Britain finally granted full independence to Canada. This last fact was made through the Statue of Westminster 1931, which is NOT an actual statue but an Act from the Parliament of the United Kingdom. By the way, the hymn of Canada is titled "O Canada" and you can listen to it here (the lyrics are in the video's description). I also found a parody of the hymn, which you can listen to it here. Though you have to make sure there are not Canadians near.

French Canada vs English Canada

That's right. As mentioned before, Canada was colonized by British as well French colonizers, meaning this in places were the French or British influence is bigger than the other. I think most of the people believe the English Canadians hate the French ones, and this applies on vice-versa. After a little research I did, I came to the conclusion that, though French and British Canadians don't go too far to hate each other, they mostly don't care about the other part. This phenomena is known as "Two-Solitudes" and it basically means the lack of communication between the Anglophone and Francophone people from Canada. It can also be defined as the lack of will for communication which, if you ask me, I consider even worse. And hilarious at some extent.  Still, those conflicts are not what make Canada famous, but probably are the starts from there—

Wait, there are actually famous people who are from Canada!?


Yes, that's actually true. And listen well, they are A LOT! I was surprised to find such a huge list of famous people from Canada. Seriously, they're so many that I'll let you a link here, since write all of them would be really hard.

Most Popular People Born In "Canada" -according to IMDb-

Finally, some stereotypes

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is a sum of frames, so that's like, what, millions of words? is a very useful tool to show this. Here I'll left a video about Canadian Stereotypes... made by a Canadian girl, so don't freak out and start to say this is only to mock Canadians. Stay calm, be cool.

Damn this girl is hot... Oh, sorry about that.

Anyway, this video leads me to a question: what are your thoughts when you hear the word "Canadian"? Also, did you know any of the stereotypes mentioned in the video? If so, let me know them by writing right down in the comments, eh.




1 comment:

  1. I don't know why, but I really like Canadian stereotypes, the maple syrup and the beavers are so cool.
    And when I listen the Canadian word... I think innmediatly in a country that it's so independant, that can be next to the U.S.A. without any historical drama (Jesus Christ that girl was... warm)
    cool entry!

    ReplyDelete